This is a repost, all previous applicants are still under review and do not need to reapply.
This job is located in Wilson, North Carolina.
The Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf (ENCSD) is a state school serving the 54 easternmost counties that provides a specialized learning environment for deaf and hard of hearing students, kindergarten through 12th grade, following a typical school calendar. The ENCSD offers students an academic setting with standards-based instruction, low classroom ratios, career and vocational skills development, current technology, and an overall accessible environment for learning through American Sign Language. A boarding program is available for enrolled students residing outside of Wilson County. The ENCSD seeks to promote both intentional and experiential learning to provide continued advancement in student academic achievement and social/emotional well-being.
This is a 12- month, 40-hr per week, full-time position.
The primary purpose of this position is to perform skilled work in the maintenance, repair and/or construction of buildings on the campus of ENCSD. This work requires specialization in vehicle maintenance and mechanical troubleshooting related to equipment and machinery. This position will also perform skilled electrical work in the repair, maintenance, alteration and construction of campus facilities, installs, repairs, services and maintains electrical systems and equipment. This position will function at the journey level in multiple skilled trades assisting co-workers when assigned. Work assignments are complex and require planning and coordination of multiple trade disciplines. This position functions with limited oversight but will seek input from the supervisor/higher level trades specialists in the completion of novel maintenance problems and issues. Work is performed independently; however, this position may refer unusual work problems to the supervisor for consideration of final determination. This position will provide technical guidance to other positions engaged skilled, semi-skilled or unskilled maintenance work. This position will ensure that work performed adheres to established maintenance, repair and/or construction standards.
The state of North Carolina offers excellent comprehensive benefits. Employees can participate in health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, and the NCFlex program (numerous high-quality, low-cost benefits on a pre-tax basis). Employees also receive paid vacation, sick, personal observance and community service leave. In addition, paid parental leave is available to eligible employees.
Some highlights include:
- Retirement Plan
- Twelve (12) holidays/year
- Fourteen (14) vacation days/year which increase as length of service increases and accumulate year-to-year
- Twelve (12) sick days/year which are cumulative indefinitely
- Longevity pay based on length of service
- 401K, 457, and 403(b) plans
Learn more about employee perks/benefits:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Documented experience in performing facility maintenance.
- Experience in at least one of the following trades: (HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Vehicle Maintenance).
- Experienced in the general preventive maintenance of facilities and infrastructure.
- Skill in the use of tools required in various technically complex trades.
- Physical strength sufficient to perform heavy physical tasks for extended periods of time.
- Experience in Electrical, HVAC and Vehicle Maintenance
- Experience in the preventive maintenance, installation, repair and troubleshooting of commercial HVAC systems and equipment.
- Experience as a service technician in the diagnosis and repair of facility equipment and infrastructure.
- The ability to communicate using American Sign Language or a willingness to learn.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and two (2) years of progressive experience in the assigned trade areas; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.