The Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf (ENCSD) is a state school serving the 54 easternmost counties that provides a specialized learning environment for deaf and hard of hearing students, kindergarten through 12th grade, following a typical school calendar. The ENCSD offers students an academic setting with standards-based instruction, low classroom ratios, career and vocational skills development, current technology, and an overall accessible environment for learning through American Sign Language. A boarding program is available for enrolled students residing outside of Wilson County. The ENCSD seeks to promote both intentional and experiential learning to provide continued advancement in student academic achievement and social/emotional well-being.
We are actively recruiting for a School Guidance Counselor. The School Guidance Counselor is responsible for providing guidance and counseling services to students, staff members, and parents as directed by the School Principal.
This is an 11-month position that follows the Academic Calendar. This position is not subject to FLSA or the State Personnel Act. Certified educators at ENCSD employment is governed by § 115C.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Designs and implements a program that provides growth opportunities for all ENCSD pupils through individual, small group, and/or classroom activities as directed by the School Director, School Principal and the NC Public Schools Counseling Program Curriculum.
- Provides individual and group counseling, and classroom guidance for pupils concerning personal, educational, or social problems.
- Provides support group activities for pupils with common personal and social needs
- Serves as a consultant for teachers in areas such as career education, classroom climate, learning styles, etc.
- Interprets test results to pupils, parents, and faculties.
- Provides information and services in relation to post-secondary opportunities in occupations, technical and trade schools, colleges and universities, scholarship opportunities, financial aid, and job opportunities.
- Provides consultation and counseling for teachers and parents regarding individual pupil progress and adjustment.
- Provides a program of educational career planning activities for pupils.
- Assists in a continuous program of pupil orientation/transition.
- Serves as a liaison between school and community agencies for appropriate referral purposes.
- Provides the Principal and staff with descriptive data derived from tests, cumulative records, and interviews to assist in recommendations for curriculum change.
- Maintains a record keeping system that describes guidance and counseling services and pupil needs to assist in program development. Additional Duties: Assists with additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Proficient organizational, planning and human relations skills
- Good knowledge of guidance counseling, career education methods, materials, procedures, and practices
- Ability to apply knowledge of guidance and counseling practices to the needs of assigned students
- Ability to develop cooperative working relationships with students, parents, and instructional staff
- Ability to maintain accurate records and confidentiality
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance
- Knowledge of the school's mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Master's Degree in School Counseling and must be licensed or eligible for licensing by the NC Dept. of Public Instruction as a School Guidance Counselor.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are skilled in American Sign Language.
- All certified educators working at Eastern NC School for the Deaf are paid from the legislated salary schedule. This schedule is approved annually by the NC General Assembly and sets a minimum pay based on the educator's years of experience and education level. ENCSD also offers an 8% monthly supplement.